I apologize for not updating this blog in a while. I have been making new things, but haven't had time to update! I wanted to post a yummy recipe- This can be made with or without paneer cheese, or substituted with Tofu. Spinach is awesome, and has an extremely high ANDI score :) Very healthy and very tasty, must try! This photo is spinach alone.
1 lb Spinach (Frozen chopped works well, or Fresh if you prefer)
½ tsp turmeric
1 Medium yellow Onion chopped
½ tsp salt
1 tsp Cumin seeds
2 black cardamoms
Chop together - 1 inch cube ginger, 2 medium cloves of garlic and one or two green chilies depending on taste.
2 Roma Tomatoes pureed in hand blender (can add 1/4 cup whipped yogurt to puree if creamier texture is desired).
½ tsp garam masala
1 Tbsp Mango powder.
1-2 tsp pomegranate powder (for extra kick)
½ lb paneer cut in ½ inch cubes and soaked in warm water for 15 minutes or more.
1. Boil spinach in water along with turmeric. Drain and blend to a coarse puree in hand blender.
2. Heat some oil in a skillet and when medium hot, put cumin seeds and Black cardamom until cumin spatters. Put Onions and ½ tsp salt. (Salt helps even browning of onion). When starting to turn brown, add ginger, green chili and garlic. Stir until onions are golden brown.
3. Add Coriander powder. Stir 30 seconds. Remove cardamoms because they can be a choking hazard :)
4. Add Tomato puree and stir until oil separates.
5. Add Spinach and cook (check salt and add more as per taste). The mixture should be well cooked so that spinach tastes cooked. Add water in tablespoon quantity if required.
6. Add Paneer/Tofu cubes and cook another 5 minutes.
7. Add Garam Masala and Mango powder, and Pomegranate Powder