Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Complete Meal


I'm a big fan complete meals- meaning the majority of food groups are encompassed into one dish! Saves a ton of time on making multiple dishes :) For a vegetarian like myself, I do feel that this indian dish can just be eaten on its own- It has everything one could want,its very filling, and has a great flavor. I have to again credit my father in law for this recipe- I'm sharing it with you with a few modifications.

This dish is called "Aloo Shimla Mirch". The main staples in this recipe are: Red Pepper, Potato, and Paneer cheese. Just a little warning- this dish can be quite spicy. However if you do not like the spice, feel free to omit the red chili powder and the green chilis. Or just use one or the other. Tonight, I prepared this dish and served it with Brown Basmati Rice (from Trader Joes), and a Cucumber Raita ( Shredded cucumber mixed with yogurt and cumin powder/black pepper/mint powder). Bon Appetit!


Aloo Shimla Mirch (Red Pepper, Potato, and Paneer in a spicy sauce)

1 Large Red (or Green!) pepper (Shimla mirch) cut into 1 to 1.5 inch square pieces

3 small yellow dutch potatoes (trader joes carries them ) boiled and cut into same size cubes as red pepper. Make sure they are tender, but not mushy.

Cubed Paneer Cheese- The quantity is up to you. Alternately, you can substitute broiled tofu cubes for those conscious of calories. In my recipe, I used half a block of paneer as sold in my local indian store.

½ large yellow onion finely chopped

2 roma tomatoes cut into small cubes.

1 green chili finely chopped (optional, feel free to leave out)

1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves (optional for garnish, I did not use)

1 inch cube ginger peeled and finely chopped

1 tsp fresh lime juice (I squeezed half a lime in )

3 tbsp yogurt (I used lowfat organic from trader joes)

2 tbsp vegetable oil

1/2 tsp chili powder (skip it if you do not want it- dish tastes great without as well)

¼ tsp garam masala powder

1/4 tsp turmeric powder

¼ tsp ground cumin (Jeera)

1 tsp salt

10-15 raisins

10 whole cashews

4 tsp water

1 tsp amchoor (mango powder).

Method:

1. Blend water, yogurt, turmeric, cumin, red chili powder, garam masala, cubed tomatoes, and salt. I use a handblender to do this to make a nice, smooth orange sauce with no visible tomato chunks.

2. I use a nonstick dutch oven for ease of cooking. Heat oil, add yogurt/spice mixture in and stir until the oil separates and a mesh-like texture forms.

3. Add ginger, green chillies, onions, raisins, cashews, and stir for ~5 minutes.

4. Add potatoes, and red pepper. If mixture looks too dry, add additional small amount of water (1-2 tbsp). Mix well and cook covered on medium heat for 7-8 minutes.

5. Sprinkle mango powder, and lime juice and stir. Garnish with cilantro if desired.

6. Serve with rice and raita

No comments:

Post a Comment