Saturday, February 5, 2011
Get your green on!
It is a warm, sunny February day here in California, (supposed to hit 70s today!), and I just came back from a trip to our local Farmers Market with a plethora of fresh veggies that we get year round. Since I'm so determined to cook healthy this year, and incorporate new veggies, my choice veggie of the week is brussel sprouts. Again, another high-scoring ANDI veggie. This simple recipe is delicious and very quick to prepare, and very healthy! Makes a great side dish to any (un) healthy meal:) Enjoy!
Stovetop Steamer (as shown in previous post)
10-12 brussel sprouts
1-2 large cloves garlic, finely minced
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tbsp lime or lemon juice
Finely ground pepper to taste
Sea Salt to taste
1) Set up steamer to have 2 inches of water. Get it going on the stove while you prep other ingredients.
2) Chop sprouts in quarters
3) In separate bowl, mix together Oil, Lime/Lemon Juice, Salt/Pepper & Garlic. Mix well
4) Once water is boiling, place sprouts in steamer and cover. Steam 5-7 minutes. Test for tenderness.
5) Toss sprouts with lemon/olive oil marinade you prepared in step 2- make sure each sprout is evenly coated.
6) Alternately, if you would like less of a strong garlic flavor, add garlic to sprouts during last 2 minutes of steaming.
Happy Saturday everyone!